Founded on Philosophy
The Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine was founded on a very specific philosophy, embodied by what we believe the ideal modern-day naturopathic physician must be and which is articulated in our vision:
one who will have a truly caring nature and a genuine desire to serve, who will commit to the ongoing practice of self-reflection and personal growth, and who will have a passionate belief in the efficacy of complementary medicine and a commitment to leading our world toward sustainable health.
The Ideal Naturopathic Physician
This vision of the ideal naturopathic physician underlies specific mission and value statements that were articulated in the very first year of the Institute's existence and which have been annually revisited and re-validated by the Institute's community. The Institute's founders understood clearly that in order to promote the development of the type of naturopathic physician envisioned, our ND program must be intentionally created on principles of inclusion, integrity, safety, respect, academic freedom, self-responsibility and innovation.
It was understood that we were creating a community in which each member felt heard, valued and supported on their journey of self-discovery and academic exploration. It was a conscious decision to steer away from the large, anonymous university model of instruction and to plan instead for small, intimate classes that allow maximum interaction among and between students and faculty. Interactive case-based instructional methods are utilized to fully engage all students, regardless of their particular learning style, and to foster critical thinking skills and clinical analysis from the first year onward.
The Small Class Mentorship Model
The small class mentorship model of instruction at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine supports and fosters the development of the envisioned ideal physician by providing an intensive but nurturing and highly-interactive learning environment - one that invites the naturopathic student to face his/her deepest motives, to take full advantage of the many learning opportunities both in and out of class, and to take responsibility for his/her ongoing personal and professional development, both at the Institute and as a lifetime member of the naturopathic profession.
Shaped by Our Constituents
All constituents of the Institute's community were invited and encouraged to participate in the development of the following formal vision and mission statements and continue to participate in an annual review of the mission.
- Education and research
- Treatment and community outreach
- Public awareness, partnering and advocacy
Education and Research:
- To set the standard in providing an outstanding and distinctive education in the art and science of naturopathic medicine that remains true to its roots and current scientific understanding.
- To reivew, support and participate in naturopahtic medical research.
- To support the personal growth and development of each member of our community through the promotion of collaboration, self-reflection and mindfulness.
Patient Care and Community Outreach:
- To employ the most current and most effective naturopathic medical treatment to programs to optimize patient health.
- To serve the health care needs of the community.
Public Awareness, Partnering and Advocacy:
- To educate the public as to the value and practice of naturopathic medical care.
- To advocate for an approach to health care that informs the public and policy makers about the medical, social and economic benefits of naturopathic medicine.
- To actively partner with organizations that seek to support and promote the benefits of naturopathic medicine and its education to society.
On August 14, 2001 the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine Society Board of Governors defined the following values as a significant adjunct, providing the spirit and context within which the Institute’s mission and goals are to be realized:
Our Profession: Naturopathic Medicine
- To further the goals of the profession via the adherence to ethical principles and standards of practice and by participation in professional activities as required for the maintenance and growth of the profession;
- To foster compassionate caring and to support the individual process of healing in addition to prescribing and applying more specific therapeutic agents and methods;
- To be faithful in word and deed to the principles of naturopathic medicine;
- To recognize and validate the contributions of the sciences as well as traditional healing arts in naturopathic medical care;
- To advance the profession of naturopathic medicine through education, research and development;
Our People & Education
- To ensure that curriculum design and implementation are consistent with our mission and values;
- To provide a safe educational environment conducive to optimal learning;
- To be pioneers, innovators and leaders in naturopathic medical education;
- To assure academic freedom;
- To nurture the development of thinking skills, analysis and clinical reasoning by our model of instruction;
- To employ humane and non-discriminatory policies protecting the safety and dignity of students, staff and faculty;
- To honor, encourage and facilitate the development of a naturopathic physician through the personal process of self-awareness so that the innate healer may emerge;
- To graduate doctors who are ethical, competent and successful in their personal and professional lives;
- To conserve and celebrate a life-centered sustainable world view;
- To honor and promote diversity in all communities;
- To foster the professional privilege of serving society.
The following goals for our naturopathic program were derived from our mission statement and are continually reviewed and updated:
Our Profession: Naturopathic Medicine
- To be faithful to the principles of naturopathic medicine;
- To recognize and validate the contributions of the sciences, as well as traditional healing arts in the evolution of naturopathic medicine;
- To keep alive the historical knowledge and skills of the profession;
- To advance naturopathic medicine through education, research and development;
Our People & Education
- To keep abreast of leading edge advances and discoveries in natural medicine;
- To nurture the development of critical thinking skills, analysis and clinical reasoning;
- To honor, encourage and facilitate the development of an authentic naturopathic physician through the process of self-awareness so that s/he is capable of recognizing and supporting the patient's individual process of healing;
- To protect the safety and dignity of all students, staff and faculty, thereby ensuring an educational environment conducive to optimal learning;
- To encourage and support students and faculty to engage in a range of research activities;
- To honor diversity in our communities;
- To honor the professional privilege of serving society.